At CommCore, our experience tells us that being properly prepared for what you say, how you say it, and how you look doing it is critical to a successful presentation or media interview. Here are some quick tips:
- The first words out of your mouth can set the tone. Practice eye contact, good posture, and controlling your gestures.
- Focus the audience’s attention on your key points by varying your vocal pitch, pace, and volume it will keep them tuned in to what you are saying.
- Avoid swaying or rocking back and forth. Such movements can change the cadence of your speech and convey nervousness. You want to appear confident and relaxed.
- A natural smile conveys comfort.
- Be prepared...Practice, practice, practice your presentation in advance. The same applies for delivering your sound bites and handling challenging questions for an interview. Make sure any material you need to refer to is organized, that the technology works, and check your clothing and makeup.